Thursday, 3 March 2011

c.1650-1700

Duns


Our earliest known Shiell ancestors lived in the area of Duns, Berwickshire, which is in the Scottish Borders about 40km south-east of Edinburgh.



Duns dates back over 1,000 years. The first written mention of Duns is when a 'Hugo de Duns' signed as a witness to a charter before 1214. The early settlement was sited on the slopes of Duns Law in an area now known as The Bruntons (or burnt town), close to the original Duns Castle that was built in 1320, by the Earl of Moray, nephew of Robert the Bruce. The town was frequently attacked by the English in border raids and as they headed north to the Lothians. The town was granted a Charter of Burgh of Barony by King James IV of Scotland in 1490, conferring a number of privileges particularly in regard to trade to the feudal superior, initially George and John Hume of Ayton, subsequently the Hays of Drumelzier. Among other things the feudal superior set up a Barony Court to provide for the collection of tolls, the regulation of trade, the settlement of civil disputes and to deal with minor criminal offences. The town prospered during the 18th and 19th centuries as a market town for the surrounding farms with the hiring fairs being regular events until the early 20th century. The Hearth Tax of 1694 lists over 40 occupations in the parish, and over 100 years later, 40 occupations can still be found in the Militia Lists.

Market Cross, Duns
Duns Castle

The church at Duns can trace its history back to at least 1116 when someone by the name of Patrick is recorded as parson. The original church building was probably in about the same place as the present one, being on what was the edge of town. The present building replaced one which was demolished in 1790. Unfortunately, that church was extensively damaged by fire in 1879. The restored church is the one we see today. The church hall was built at the end of the 18th century as the Parish School and schoolmasters house. 


Duns Parish church


Shiell of Duns

 

Generation One

Our earliest Shiells ancestors that we've been able to trace are William Shiell and his wife Issobell (maiden name may also have been Shiell) who had several children baptised in Duns Parish. No marriage record or baptism for William or Isobel has been found to date. They had at least the following children:
1. Margaret Shiell (bapt. 1668 Duns)
2. John Shiell (bapt. 1670 Duns)
3.Agnes Shiell (bapt. 1676 Duns)
4. Marie Shiell (bapt.1680 Duns)
5. Thomas Shiell (bapt. 1680 Duns)

6.Janet Shiell (bapt. 1681 Duns)
7. Mairie Shiell (bapt. 1681 Duns)



Duns



Generation Two


Thomas Shiell5 (William Shiell) was baptised in Duns Parish on 19 February 1680. On 9 October 1702, in nearby Earlston Parish, at about the age of 22, he married Janet Aitkin (bapt. 1684), daughter of Thomas Aitkin and Grizell Mack of neighbouring Foulden Parish. Thomas & Janet Shiell had at least the following children, all baptised in Earlston Parish:
8. Elizabeth "Bessie" Shiels (bapt. 1710 Earlston)
9. John Shiels (bapt. 1712 Earlston)
10. William Shiels (bapt. 1718 Earlston)
11. James Shiels (bapt. 1720 Earlston)

Surname History

Shiels or Shiells was originally a border surname of local origin, which was derived from the Old Norman 'Skali'. The name was first used of a shepherd's summer-hut, and then of a small house. Early records of the name mention Thomas of le Schekle, who was a juror on an inquisition in 1274. Symon de Schele was documented in Edinburgh in 1403. William de Schellis was a notary public in the diocese of Glasgow in 1448. Ando Cheill was a tenant in the barony of Glasgow in the year 1448. Gilbert Schell, witnessed a sale of lands in Walle in 1469. John Shil died in 1721, and was buried in Earlston churchyard.